The Ciro Pinsuti theatre has its roots in the 17th century, when it was managed by the Compagnia Laicale Santa Croce. It's a small jewel set in the historic centre of Sinalunga, and represents a perfect example of "Italian theatre".
In 1772, the Accademia degli Disantellati bought and restored the theatre by commissioning the architect Leonardo Del Vegni, the sought after designer of the Teatro degli Astrusi in Montalcino. His project was considered too ambitious for the size of the Sinalunghese population, and it was only later that his ideas were reworked by the academic Gianpaolo Terrosi and the theatre was inaugurated in 1807.
Further works were undertaken at the building at the end of the 19th century, when it was also dedicated to the composer Ciro Pinsuti (1828-1888) from Sinalunga, a pupil of Rossini and who was very active in London.
In the early 20th century, the premises of the cafeteria, kitchen and ballroom were purchased. Following this flourishing period came the First World War and the advent of cinema which led the theatre along a period of slow decline that culminated in 1984, when it was declared unfit for use. In 2002, it was bought by the municipal administration who undertook a substantial recovery project that enabled its reopening.
The interior of the theatre has a horseshoe shape with 36 boxes distributed on three levels, and is richly decorated with mythological themes. In this way, Sinalunga came to be equipped with one of the most beautiful theatres in southern Tuscany, enlivened by amateur dramatics and music companies.