One-day visit to the capital of Garfagnana, whose origins date back to the past of Este domination
A walking tour through the picturesque streets of the village of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, which tells the story of Ariosto's rule.
We will discover the Renaissance fortress of Mont'Alfonso and the historic center of the capital of the Garfagnana territory, immersed in a picturesque natural setting that has its roots in history. It was the subject of disputes between neighboring villages for its dominion, given the strategic position it occupied. It was owned by the Republic of Lucca in the early 1300s and became a Signoria headed by the leader Castruccio Castracani.
In 1522 Ludovico Ariosto, sent by the Este family, became governor and the inhabitants of the village decided to submit to him, tired of the constant struggles between the neighboring villages. The poet was in charge of educating the Garfagnini, who were used to somewhat wild and rude ways of "putting their hands to arms".
After various passages of dominion, Castelnuovo ended up under the province of Lucca once again.
During the tour we will visit the following places:
- Teatro Alfieri: first stop just a stone's throw from the station
- Santa Lucia: oratory or church
- The hidden treasures of the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul
- Porta Loggiato
- Ariosto's home: the Rocca of the same name
- The oratory or church of the Beata Vergine or Madonna del Ponte
- The church of Sant'Antonio abate
- The panoramic Fortress of Mont'Alfonso: a view over Garfagnana and the valley floor
- The Ariosto path
- Participants: minimum 4 people (price per person € 50) and maximum 15 people
- 24 hours notice required
- The price of the excursion decreases as the number of participants increases (any extra cost will be refunded)
- Duration: full day (4 hours)
- If you are part of a group of at least 6 people, you can choose your preferred date.
- Recommended period: May - October
Prices starting from
duomo, Piazza Duomo, Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, LU, Italia
From 01 May 2022 to 15 October 2022
Tel.: +39 0583641006
- Guide throughout the itinerary
- Lunch box for lunch
- Shuttle from the center of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana to the Fortress of Mont'Alfonso round trip
- Transport (you will need your own transport to reach the places of visit)
- Anything not expressly mentioned under "Prices Include".
Garfagnana Experience by I Viaggi di Andrea
Piazza del Duomo, 6/7
Castelnuovo di Garfagnana